ROANOKE RAPIDS, NC (WNCN) — A registered sex offender broke through the front door of a North Carolina home and took a 1-year-old child, then committed a sex crime against the child, Halifax County Sheriff Wes Tripp said.
Deputies, who responded to the home on Cloverlearf Drive shortly after midnight Wednesday, later found the child at the home of the sex offender, Alexander Jamond Ezell, 25, the sheriff wrote on Facebook.
The child was taken to Halifax Regional Medical Center for further treatment.
Deputies searching with K-9 Torro later found Ezell hiding in the woods behind his home, Tripp said.
Ezell is charged with:
- First-degree kidnapping
- Indecent liberties with a minor
- Attempted statutory rape
- Abduction of a child
- First-degree burglary
- Injury to real property
- Resisting arrest
Ezell was put in the Halifax County Detention Center under a $505,000 secured bond.
STORIES OTHERS ARE CLICKING ON:
- New photo could be clue to Amelia Earhart mystery
- Man loads propane tanks into car and drives into apartment building
- Police: Man fatally shot in front of patrons at St. Pete pool hall
- FBI, Coast Guard investigate Florida newlywed’s sea disappearance
- Lakeland teen paralyzed in 2011 shooting incident shot and killed in drive-by
- 7-week-old dies after being left in car for 8 hours in NW Florida
- Hillsborough man kept wife’s body in freezer for 8 years to collect her Social Security
- Daytona Beach child neglect investigators discover boy who weighed 25 lbs.