PLANT CITY, Fla. (WFLA) — A suspect is dead after being shot by police in Plant City Thursday morning.
The shooting happened on East Alsobrook Street near Park Road near a BP Gas Station after a chase with 35-year-old Jesus Cervantes of Plant City.
Police say it all started with a 911 call around 5 a.m. from a man who said he was being followed for two hours and needed police service.
Responding officers searched for the car, and spotted one speeding down a road. Police say the driver at one point tried to run a responding officer off the road.
Police deflated Cervantes’ car tires, but he didn’t stop until he lost control and crashed near the BP Gas Station.
Officers then surrounded the car and told Cervantes to get out and show his hands. Police say he did not listen, and instead tried to get into the rear door on the driver’s side to get an unknown object.
Two officers then fired at Cervantes, who was pronounced dead at the scene.
No officers were injured. Police have not said what object the driver was reaching for.
Investigators believe the phone that made the original 911 call was located inside the suspect’s car.
STORIES OTHERS ARE CLICKING ON:
- New photo could be clue to Amelia Earhart mystery
- Man loads propane tanks into car and drives into apartment building
- Police: Man fatally shot in front of patrons at St. Pete pool hall
- FBI, Coast Guard investigate Florida newlywed’s sea disappearance
- Lakeland teen paralyzed in 2011 shooting incident shot and killed in drive-by
- 7-week-old dies after being left in car for 8 hours in NW Florida
- Hillsborough man kept wife’s body in freezer for 8 years to collect her Social Security
- Daytona Beach child neglect investigators discover boy who weighed 25 lbs.
WFLA.com provides commenting to allow for constructive discussion on the stories we cover. In order to comment here, you acknowledge you have read and agreed to our Terms of Service. Commenters who violate these terms, including use of vulgar language or racial slurs, will be banned. Please be respectful of the opinions of others and keep the conversation on topic and civil. If you see an inappropriate comment, please flag it for our moderators to review.