FORT PIERCE, Fla. (WFLA/WPTV) — A 31-year-old man drove a car full of propane tanks into an apartment building on Tuesday in Fort Pierce, police said.
The car exploded and residents fled.
Police said the driver, Carl Philbert died at the scene. They said he was targeting a woman inside the apartment after they got into a fight.
“He intended to do damage, he raced his car into this apartment where five people were, intending to kill them, blow the place up, or create some kind of havoc,” said police spokesman Ed Cunningham.
Police said Philbert put four tanks inside his car before crashing it into the building on Palm Avenue.
Her 3-year-old son was also inside the apartment. He was reported to be OK.
Residents started helping others escape the fire.
“I heard the impact, it was pretty hard, shook the house, vibrated the couch, the walls. Everything,” said neighbor Chris Garcia.
In all, 18 people were displaced. They are being assisted by Red Cross.
STORIES OTHERS ARE CLICKING ON:
- Police: Man fatally shot in front of patrons at St. Pete pool hall
- FBI, Coast Guard investigate Florida newlywed’s sea disappearance
- Lakeland teen paralyzed in 2011 shooting incident shot and killed in drive-by
- 7-week-old dies after being left in car for 8 hours in NW Florida
- Hillsborough man kept wife’s body in freezer for 8 years to collect her Social Security
- Daytona Beach child neglect investigators discover boy who weighed 25 lbs.
- Police: Florida man sits on gun, shoots himself in penis