NEW PORT RICHEY, Fla. (WFLA) – Pasco deputies are investigating a shooting Monday evening.
Deputies spotted a man walking on the sidewalk, on the west side of Highway 19, just north of Gulf Drive.
As deputies got closer, they could see the man had what appeared to be a gun, so they ordered him to put it down.
They tried to talk to the man for about a minute, but things quickly turned dangerous.
Deputies returned fire on the suspect who fired upon them first. The incident occurred at US 19 and Gulf Boulevard.
Preliminary information indicates a 36-year-old man was shot multiple times in the legs by two deputies after he shot at them with a pellet gun.
The suspect has been taken to a hospital with non-life threatening injuries.
A deputy was hit in the leg with the pellet gun and was also taken to a hospital, but was not seriously injured.
The southbound lanes of US 19 at Cross Bayou to Gulf Drive are currently closed.
No names are currently being released at this time.
STORIES OTHERS ARE CLICKING ON:
- Hillsborough man kept wife’s body in freezer for 8 years to collect her Social Security
- Pinellas mom shoots man who attacked her and neighbor
- Body found believed to be missing Tampa swimmer
- Florida opens large stretch of Gulf Coast for scalloping
- Trump tweets mock video of him beating CNN, sparks criticism
- Deputies: Pasco man killed girlfriend by stabbing her in face, neck, body
- Daytona Beach child neglect investigators discover boy who weighed 25 lbs.
- Fourth of July Celebrations, Parades and Fireworks in the Tampa Bay area
- Police: Florida man sits on gun, shoots himself in penis
WFLA.com provides commenting to allow for constructive discussion on the stories we cover. In order to comment here, you acknowledge you have read and agreed to our Terms of Service. Commenters who violate these terms, including use of vulgar language or racial slurs, will be banned. Please be respectful of the opinions of others and keep the conversation on topic and civil. If you see an inappropriate comment, please flag it for our moderators to review.