SEFFNER, Fla.(WFLA) — A candle is to blame for a fire that destroyed a Seffner family’s 6,000-square-foot home.
Hillsborough Fire Rescue received a call about a house fire at 10:27 Thursday night. When firefighters arrived at the home on Cactus Road, the back third of the house was already engulfed. The battalion chief, Jim Chastain says it continued to spread from there.
One of the back corners of the house, in particular gave firefighters trouble as it continued to flare up every time they got the flames extinguished. Those flare ups lasted for about three hours.
Because it took crews so long to fight the fire, Chastain called in for backup crews to help relieve the exhausted firefighters. Around 4 a.m. all of the flames were extinguished.
Because so much water was sprayed on the roof, parts of the house started to collapse and no one has been allowed to enter the home.
All four people and four dogs in the home were able to escape safely. One person from the home was burned on the foot. Homeowner, Gene Hickman, 83 returned to the charred remains of his residence after the sun came up on Friday. He peered inside to look at the damage.
Hickman told WFLA News Channel 8 that the fire was started by a candle that was knocked over. He and his family had lived in the home for 43 years.
STORIES OTHERS ARE CLICKING ON:
- 2 dead, 4 seriously injured after industrial incident at TECO’s Big Bend power plant
- Potentially lethal parasite found in Hillsborough County
- Deputies: Man exposed his genitals to girl, 8, at Tampa dental office
- One rabid cat, 7 victims treated in Hillsborough County
- Pinellas Co. deputy fired after joking about shooting someone on social media
- Sarasota couple arrested after blind, deaf dog found chained, covered with maggots
- VIDEO: Shark thrashes in water just feet from beachgoers in Florida
WFLA.com provides commenting to allow for constructive discussion on the stories we cover. In order to comment here, you acknowledge you have read and agreed to our Terms of Service. Commenters who violate these terms, including use of vulgar language or racial slurs, will be banned. Please be respectful of the opinions of others and keep the conversation on topic and civil. If you see an inappropriate comment, please flag it for our moderators to review.