ORLANDO, Fla. (AP) – The bacteria that cause Legionnaire’s disease have been found at a health club in Orlando, and a second club is being tested for the bacteria.
The Orlando Sentinel reports that health officials concluded Tuesday that water samples from an LA Fitness club in Orlando tested positive for the Legionella bacteria, and they are awaiting test results from a second LA Fitness gym in Orlando.
Two customers at each gym were diagnosed with Legionnaire’s disease.
The illness can cause a severe form of pneumonia, and people with compromised respiratory systems are particularly vulnerable to it.
The bacteria usually grow in closed water systems.
Earlier this month, LA Fitness officials notified members of the two gyms about the possible contamination.
STORIES OTHERS ARE CLICKING ON:
- Good Samaritan beat up and Facebook shamed after helping toddler in Lakeland speaks out
- 1 dead, 5 injured, when car slams into tree in horrific Pinellas Park crash
- Pasco woman accused of having sex with 11-year-old, getting pregnant
- Pinellas deputy resigns after racist, sexist and sexually explicit material found on phone
- Polk County 7-year-old found safe in California
- Snapchat’s new ‘Snap Map’ feature has law enforcement worried
- Dog returned to disabled man in Pasco County
- Chick-fil-A offers FREE food to celebrate cow appreciation day
WFLA.com provides commenting to allow for constructive discussion on the stories we cover. In order to comment here, you acknowledge you have read and agreed to our Terms of Service. Commenters who violate these terms, including use of vulgar language or racial slurs, will be banned. Please be respectful of the opinions of others and keep the conversation on topic and civil. If you see an inappropriate comment, please flag it for our moderators to review.