OLDSMAR, Fla. (WFLA) — Detectives in Pinellas County are searching for a gunman that robbed a Speedway gas station in Oldsmar Monday night.
According to investigators, the suspect walked into the gas station on Tampa Road shortly after 10:30 p.m.
He went straight past the register, catching the unsuspecting clerk off guard.
“He went to the back, he found the clerk,” said Corporal Dan DiFrancesco with the Pinellas County Sheriff’s Office.
The clerk covers her face as he put the weapon to her head.
“He pointed the firearm at her and that’s particularly troubling,” DiFrancesco said.
Investigators say the gunman forced the clerk to the register. Fearing for her life, she complied and opens the safe. He then took off with the money.
“I know that she immediately dialed 911, deputies responded and were able to get the information,” DiFrancesco said.
Longtime customer Linda Pittman knows the clerk.
“A good person in the store and little red head and I see her all the time, when I’m in there and I just can’t believe it,” Pittman said.
She said nothing like this has ever happened at the store.
“Can’t believe they didn’t hurt her or anything, right?” she said.
A representative with Speedway said they’re cooperating with detectives.
Detectives hope someone will recognize the subject.
The suspect is described as a white male wearing a black hoodie and blue jeans. He was covering his face with a bandana.
“We definitely want to get this guy off the streets,” said DiFrancesco.
The gunman ran from the scene in an unknown direction.
STORIES OTHERS ARE CLICKING ON:
- Missing Child Alert issued for Polk boy, 7; mother was homicide victim
- Pasco deputies searching for dog that woman stole from disabled man
- Florida man jailed when drywall powder is mistaken for cocaine
- Infant remains found, woman arrested in Florida
- Good Samaritan helping lost toddler in Lakeland gets beat up by parent, Facebook shamed
- Florida teens accused of blowing money on jewelry, cars and teeth
- Walt Disney World offers rare summer ticket deal