FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla. (AP) – A tourist from Alabama is recovering in a Florida hospital after authorities say he was robbed and shot while vacationing with his family in Turks and Caicos.
In a statement, Royal Turks and Caicos police said Kevin Newman was shot in the abdomen early Friday.
News outlets report Newman underwent surgery at a hospital in Turks and Caicos and was in a medically induced coma when he was flown to a hospital in Fort Lauderdale for further treatment.
The family, including wife Tiffany and son Gavin, is from Smiths Station, Alabama.
In a statement, the family said Newman was “robbed at gunpoint and shot.” News outlets report he received blood transfusions and was listed in stable condition on Saturday.
Police said no arrests have been made. An investigation continues.
STORIES OTHERS ARE CLICKING ON:
- $7,200 reward offered in case involving gopher tortoise killings
- Better Call Behnken: Stolen credit card numbers discovered for sale on website
- Good Samaritan helping lost toddler in Lakeland gets beat up by parent, Facebook shamed
- Cops: Uber driver’s gun discharges during fight with passengers at Adventure Island
- Cape Coral mayor’s ex-husband arrested at Florida hotel
- PHOTOS: Erin Andrews, ex-NHL player Jarret Stoll marry in Montana