Worker dies after being electrocuted at Auburndale distillery

POLK COUNTY, Fla. (WFLA) – A 33-year-old man died in Winter Haven Wednesday after deputies say he was electrocuted while working on a conveyor belt motor.

The Polk County Sheriff’s Office responded to a 911 call from Florida Caribbean Distillers located at 425 Recker Highway in Auburndale and found Aaron Rowe of Kissimmee lying on the ground, unresponsive.

The sheriff’s office said Rowe had been working to restore power to a conveyor belt that was down. He tried to turn off power to the line he was working, then spliced the power wires to connect them to the motor. However, deputies say the power wire was live at this time, and later determined the lock-out system was affixed to the wrong circuit breaker, shutting off power to the wrong wire, which resulted in Rowe being electrocuted.

Rowe sustained fatal injuries and suffered burns on both hands. He was transported to the 10th District Medical Examiner’s Office, which plans to conduct an autopsy on Thursday.

STORIES OTHERS ARE CLICKING ON:

BACK TO TOP STORIES

WFLA.com provides commenting to allow for constructive discussion on the stories we cover. In order to comment here, you acknowledge you have read and agreed to our Terms of Service. Commenters who violate these terms, including use of vulgar language or racial slurs, will be banned. Please be respectful of the opinions of others and keep the conversation on topic and civil. If you see an inappropriate comment, please flag it for our moderators to review.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s