Florida family escapes after hoverboard catches home on fire

(Source: WPTV)

RIVERA BEACH, Fla. (WFLA) – A Hoverboard was being blamed for starting a fire in a Rivera Beach home.

Cheryl Wade said her family escaped when her granddaughter’s hoverboard caught fire while it was charging. She said if she didn’t close the door to the bedroom, the fire would have been much worse.

“Late tonight, my granddaughter decided she wanted to charge her hoverboard. She plugged it in and about 10 minutes later, it just started smoking. I couldn’t believe it, and I can understand how people can die in fires. It started so quickly, it just spread so quickly. We were trapped in a room, because where it was charging at, it was right by the door.

Now the 10 family members are staying at a hotel.

Wade said she had heard warning about the toy, but never thought it would happen to them.

Hoverboards were recalled last year because the lithium batteries can overheat and explode.

STORIES OTHERS ARE CLICKING ON:

BACK TO TOP STORIES

WFLA.com provides commenting to allow for constructive discussion on the stories we cover. In order to comment here, you acknowledge you have read and agreed to our Terms of Service. Commenters who violate these terms, including use of vulgar language or racial slurs, will be banned. Please be respectful of the opinions of others and keep the conversation on topic and civil. If you see an inappropriate comment, please flag it for our moderators to review.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s