NORTH HERO, VT (WFLA/WPTZ) – Twenty baby spiny softshell turtles were released Wednesday into Lake Champlain.
Vermont Fish and Wildlife and the Echo-Leahy Center for Lake Champlain teamed up for nearly 10 years for an annual turtle release.
About 300 of the turtles are believed to be in the lake, but because they’re easy prey, they are considered a threatened species.
Families who sponsored the babies were invited to help release them.
STORIES OTHERS ARE CLICKING ON:
- TRAGEDY: Dallas boy, 12, drowns in Tampa hotel pool, sister dies at hospital
- WINNER: $1 million Mega Millions ticket sold in Pasco Co.
- Florida man investigated for harassing manatees after posting viral video
- Tropical Storm Cindy forms in Gulf of Mexico
- Pinellas Co. LPN arrested for giving patient morphine without prescription
- Georgia inmates save guard’s life when he collapses during work detail
- Sebring mom who let snake bite baby won’t be prosecuted