FIRST COURSE: Israeli Carrot Salad
- 1 (10-ounce) bag shredded carrots
- 2 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- ½ – 1 teaspoon schug or crushed red pepper
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- In large bowl toss carrots, garlic, parsley, schug, lemon juice, and oil.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
MAIN COURSE: Braised Chicken with Stewy Chickpeas, Tomatoes, Kale and couscous on the side
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 40 minutes
- Extra virgin olive oil
- 1 chicken cut into 6 pieces
- Kosher salt
- Freshly cracked black pepper
- 1 can chickpeas
- 1 (15 ounce) can whole tomatoes, crushed with your hands
- ½ cup chicken broth
- 1 red onion, sliced thinly
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon capers
- 1 cup pitted and chopped kalamata olives
- 3 cups finely chopped kale
Packaged couscous prepared according to package directions
Garnish: thinly sliced lemon, chopped flat leaf parsley
Preheat oven to 375F. Generously grease a 9 x 13 casserole with extra virgin olive oil
- Season chicken pieces with salt and pepper. Place chicken, skin side down, in prepared pan. Roast in oven for 20 minutes.
- While chicken is roasting, stir to combine: chickpeas, crushed tomatoes, broth, onions, garlic, capers and olives. Stir in chopped kale. Season with salt and pepper.
- Turn chicken pieces over and distribute chickpea mixture around chicken.
Return to oven and continue cooking for another 20-30 minutes or until mixture is bubbly.
- Serve chicken and chickpeas with kale on a bed of couscous on a platter with sliced lemons and parsley.
DESSERT: Cocoa Rose Malabi
- 4 cups almond milk, divided
- ⅓ cup date honey
- ¼ cup cocoa powder
- ½ cup cornstarch or arrowroot powder
- 1 tablespoon rose water
- In a large microwave safe bowl whisk together 3½ cups almond milk, date honey, and cocoa powder and heat for 2 minutes.
- In a small bowl whisk together cornstarch and remaining ½ cup almond milk.
- Whisk cornstarch mixture into warm milk mixture.
- Place back in the microwave for 4 to 6 minutes more, whisking every 2 minutes until pudding consistency is reached.
- Remove and whisk in rose water.
- Pour into decorative cups for serving and cool in fridge.