(WFLA/NBC News) — Well, the mower the merrier to help celebrate dads with lawn mower racing
Sure it’s not the Daytona 500, but some of these lawn mowers are pretty fast, burning rubber as they fly down the straight-away.
Others aren’t so fast and seem to take forever to reach the finish line.
The event got its start back in the late 60s when one man reportedly started a friendly betting war with his neighbors to see whose lawn mower could go the fastest.
Now hundreds of people turn out every year for this classic race.
And that’s how Father’s Day in Grand Island, New York is celebrated, someone goes home as a lawn mower champion.
WHAT’S TRENDING ONLINE NOW –
- Freckle tattoos are the latest beauty craze on social media
- Taiwan Police K-9 unit has fluffy recruits joining the force
- Lady Gaga releases 4 new Starbucks drinks for special cause
- PHOTOS: SeaWorld Orlando welcomes baby walrus
- Thousands break sand angel world record by Lake Michigan
WFLA.com provides commenting to allow for constructive discussion on the stories we cover. In order to comment here, you acknowledge you have read and agreed to our Terms of Service. Commenters who violate these terms, including use of vulgar language or racial slurs, will be banned. Please be respectful of the opinions of others and keep the conversation on topic and civil. If you see an inappropriate comment, please flag it for our moderators to review.