LOS ANGELES (AP) — Diana Taurasi became the WNBA’s career scoring leader, passing Tina Thompson’s mark of 7,488 on Sunday against Los Angeles.
Taurasi needed 14 points coming into the game, and broke Thompson’s record late in the first half on a layup with the Phoenix Mercury trailing big.
The game was stopped and the crowd, which included former Lakers star Kobe Bryant, gave Taurasi a warm ovation.
It only took the Mercury’s star 13 seasons to become the league’s top scorer. Thompson needed 17 seasons to achieve her total.
Earlier in the season, Taurasi set the career 3-pointer record, passing Katie Smith.
STORIES OTHERS ARE CLICKING ON:
- Man shot and killed by ex-girlfriend in Zephyrhills
- FHP report: Trooper hit and killed after car crash in Alachua County
- Stephen Furst, Flounder in ‘Animal House,’ dies at 63
- Cops: Mom leaves child, 4, at Atlanta airport, skips town in Florida car
- Study finds surprising number of Americans think chocolate milk comes from brown cows
- Reports: Beyoncé and Jay Z welcome twins