HILLSBOROUGH COUNTY, Fla. (WFLA) — A Lakeland man is battling serious injuries after Florida Highway Patrol officers say he drove the wrong way on Interstate 75 early Saturday morning.
Officers say 29-year-old Rogelio Ramirez was driving north in the southbound lanes of I-75 near Gibsonton Drive around 4 a.m. The FHP report says Ramirez was heavily impaired.
While driving the wrong way, Ramirez collided with a tractor-trailer that was headed south. Troopers say the driver of the tractor-trailer tried to steer away from the wrong-way driver, but Ramirez still hit the rear trailer portion of the vehicle on the passenger’s side.
Ramirez was taken to Tampa General Hospital. Charges against him are pending.
The tractor-trailer driver was not injured.
STORIES OTHERS ARE CLICKING ON:
- VIDEO: Machete-wielding homeowner holds armed robbery suspect until officials arrive, 5 arrested
- ‘Bovine bandits’ nabbed in Polk Co. after stealing cows, selling them at auction
- PCSO: Former juvenile justice employee admits to molesting 7-year-old
- Manhunt Over: Tennessee homeowner with gun helps capture escaped inmates
- Deputies: Bradenton woman admitted to raping child, 6, with her father
- Cops: Drunk caretaker passed out, boy found wandering near busy St. Pete road
- Study finds surprising number of Americans think chocolate milk comes from brown cows
WFLA.com provides commenting to allow for constructive discussion on the stories we cover. In order to comment here, you acknowledge you have read and agreed to our Terms of Service. Commenters who violate these terms, including use of vulgar language or racial slurs, will be banned. Please be respectful of the opinions of others and keep the conversation on topic and civil. If you see an inappropriate comment, please flag it for our moderators to review.