LOS ANGELES (AP) – Los Angeles became Gotham City as the Bat-Signal glowed Thursday night at City Hall.
Hundreds of fans – some in costume – cheered as Mayor Eric Garcetti and Police Chief Charlie Beck turned on the Bat-Signal.
The iconic circle of light with a bat-shaped silhouette glowed on the City Hall tower.
The ceremony honored Adam West, who played the Caped Crusader in the campy 1960s TV series.
West died last week at 88.
In Batman comics, movies and TV shows, the Bat-Signal is a spotlight with the shadow of Batman’s winged emblem that is shown on the night sky to call for Batman’s help.
Batman is often referred to as the Dark Knight, but West’s children said in a statement that he aspired to positivity and always saw himself as “The Bright Knight.”
STORIES OTHERS ARE CLICKING ON:
- Target 8: 4 top brass at Hillsborough Fire Rescue suspended, time cards in question
- Manhunt Over: Tennessee homeowner with gun helps capture escaped inmates
- Over 200 Manatee High School students learn AP English exams are void
- Vendors out of place to work after USA Flea Market closes in Pasco
- Woman sues Publix over husband’s deep fryer death
- WFLA News Channel 8 volunteers for Founder’s Day of Caring