WASHINGTON, D.C. (WFLA/AP) – President Donald Trump and wife Melania visited wounded U.S. Rep. Steve Scalise, R-LA, in the hospital Wednesday night, just hours after Scalise was shot during a charity baseball game practice.
The President delivered flowers to the family and sat in the Congressman’s hospital room.
It has been reported that there was little or no interaction with Scalise because he’s in critical condition.
The White House described the mood as “emotional.”
A rifle-wielding attacker opened fire on Republican lawmakers as they practiced Wednesday. Scalise, two aides and two capitol police officers were hurt, officials said.
The gunman, James Hodgkinson, 66, of Illinois, was shot and killed.
Colleagues said Scalise had been fielding balls at second base at a local park in Alexandria, Virginia, just across the Potomac River from the nation’s capital, as the Republicans practiced for their annual game with Democrats. He dragged himself away from the infield leaving a trail of blood before fellow lawmakers could rush to his assistance.
Doctors said Scalise will require several more operations.
STORIES OTHERS ARE CLICKING ON
- Driver dead and Tampa roads closed after tree falls on car
- The Latest: Queen hails London firefighters after blazeds
- WFLA News Channel 8 volunteers for Founder’s Day of Caring
- Speed Busters: Lead feet causing problems for residents, pets on Ridgewood Park street
- St. Pete mother of assault victim details attack on 15-year-old daughter
- VIDEO: Bradenton man pops hood, finds snake on engine
- Jacksonville father murdered in front of kids while buying puppy from Facebook ad