LARGO, Fla. (WFLA) – A 16-year-old boy is lucky to be alive after stealing a car in Largo Thursday morning and crashing into multiple trees.
The Clearwater Police Department said the car was left unlocked with the keys inside of it when it was stolen around 8 a.m.
The 16-year-old was driving at a high rate of speed and crashed into three different trees on Park Place.
No other cars or bystanders were involved in the crash.
The teenager was able to climb out of the window of the car and ran from the scene, but was apprehended by officers.
He was taken to Mease Countryside Hospital for treatment of minor injuries.
Clearwater police said the teenager was lucky to be alive, given the extensive damage to the car.
STORIES OTHERS ARE CLICKING ON:
- Target 8: 4 top brass at Hillsborough Fire Rescue suspended, time cards in question
- Escaped Georgia inmates accused of killing 2 guards captured in Tennessee
- Over 200 Manatee High School students learn AP English exams are void
- Vendors out of place to work after USA Flea Market closes in Pasco
- Woman sues Publix over husband’s deep fryer death
- WFLA News Channel 8 volunteers for Founder’s Day of Caring
WFLA.com provides commenting to allow for constructive discussion on the stories we cover. In order to comment here, you acknowledge you have read and agreed to our Terms of Service. Commenters who violate these terms, including use of vulgar language or racial slurs, will be banned. Please be respectful of the opinions of others and keep the conversation on topic and civil. If you see an inappropriate comment, please flag it for our moderators to review.