SEMINOLE COUNTY, Fla. (WFLA) – A Seminole County sheriff’s deputy was nearly struck by a suspected drunk driver early Thursday morning.
According to the sheriff’s office, Deputy Molly Smith was assisting a motorist whose car was stopped in the middle lane of Red Bug Lake Road in unincorporated Oviedo.
While the deputy stood at the driver’s side door, a suspected drunk driver came speeding toward her.
The deputy was able to push herself up against the parked car to avoid impact. The speeding vehicle completely ripped off the other car’s door.
Deputies conducted a traffic stop on the vehicle.
The Florida Highway Patrol placed the driver under arrest.
STORIES OTHERS ARE CLICKING ON:
- Tree falls on car in Tampa, killing driver
- Family’s home destroyed while on vacation, cats missing
- Ohio student imprisoned in N. Korea returns home in coma, family adjusting to new reality
- Lakeland man sues friend in dispute over $1M lottery ticket
- WFLA News Channel 8 volunteers for Founder’s Day of Caring
- Speed Busters: Lead feet causing problems for residents, pets on Ridgewood Park Street
WFLA.com provides commenting to allow for constructive discussion on the stories we cover. In order to comment here, you acknowledge you have read and agreed to our Terms of Service. Commenters who violate these terms, including use of vulgar language or racial slurs, will be banned. Please be respectful of the opinions of others and keep the conversation on topic and civil. If you see an inappropriate comment, please flag it for our moderators to review.