Recipe: Berry Jam
Active Time – 20 minutes, Total Time – 4 hours (Makes 16 servings)
1 lemon, for juice
6 cups fresh (or frozen) mixed berries (blackberries, blueberries, raspberries, or strawberries)
1 cup sugar
1. Squeeze lemon for juice (1 tablespoon). Stir all ingredients in a large saucepan until coated. Set aside 30 minutes to marinate.
2. Bring mixture to a boil over medium heat. Reduce heat to medium-low, simmer and stir 15–18 minutes or until sauce is thick and
berries have broken down (for a more spreadable jam smash berries with back of spoon while stirring). Remove from heat and set
aside, uncovered, 1 hour to cool completely before placing in an air-tight container.
3. Chill 2 hours before serving, may be kept up to one week. Serve on warm biscuits, over ice cream, or basted on grilled chicken.
(Makes about 2 cups.)
CALORIES (per 1/16 recipe) 70kcal; FAT 0g; SAT FAT 0g; TRANS FAT 0g; CHOL 0mg; SODIUM 0mg; CARB 18g; FIBER 2g;
SUGARS 16g; PROTEIN 1g; VIT A 0%; VIT C 25%; CALC 0%; IRON 2%
Recipe: Coconut Berry Breakfast Quinoa
Total Time – 30 minutes (Makes 6 servings)
3 cups coconut milk
1 1/2 cups quinoa
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/4 cup pure maple syrup
3 cups fresh mixed berries (blackberries, blueberries, raspberries, or strawberries), divided
1/2 cup lowfat vanilla bean Greek yogurt
Berry syrup, optional for serving
1. Place milk, quinoa, and vanilla in a medium saucepan; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer 15 minutes or until
liquid has absorbed.
2. Remove pan from heat; stir in syrup and 2 cups berries into quinoa. Cover and let stand 5 minutes. Divide quinoa between 6 serving bowls, top with yogurt and remaining berries. Add a drizzle of your favorite berry (or maple) syrup, if desired. Serve.
CALORIES (per 1/6 recipe) 470kcal; FAT 27g; SAT FAT 22g; TRANS FAT 0g; CHOL 0mg; SODIUM 30mg; CARB 51g; FIBER 7g;
SUGARS 17g; PROTEIN 10g; VIT A 4%; VIT C 25%; CALC 10%; IRON 35%
Recipe: Blueberry Feta Salad
Total Time – 15 minutes (Makes 4 servings)
1/2 cup red wine vinegar
1/2 cup sugar
1 teaspoon dried basil
1 cup fresh blueberries
1 shallot, thinly sliced
7 oz chunk feta cheese
2 cups baby arugula (or pea shoots)
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1. Combine vinegar, sugar, and basil in small saucepan on medium. Simmer 4–5 minutes or until reduced by half. Remove from heat; stir blueberries into vinegar mixture and let stand to cool.
2. Slice shallot. Cut feta in half, then cut into slices from shorter end.
3. Divide feta between 4 serving plates. Top with greens, shallots, and blueberry mixture, drizzle with olive oil. Serve.
CALORIES (per 1/4 recipe) 330kcal; FAT 18g; SAT FAT 8g; TRANS FAT 0g; CHOL 45mg; SODIUM 460mg; CARB 35g; FIBER 1g;
SUGARS 32g; PROTEIN 8g; VIT A 10%; VIT C 10%; CALC 30%; IRON 6%