BARTOW, Fla. (WFLA) — The Polk County Sheriff’s Office has identified the pilot who was seriously injured after crashing his plane in a church parking lot on Sunday.
Deputies say 61-year-old Robert Silva from Jensen Beach was flying his Cirrus SR22 plane when he crashed into a utility pole and onto a vehicle in the parking lot of the Good Hope Missionary Baptist Church.
Silva was taken to Lakeland Regional Medical Center with serious injuries. He is currently in stable condition.
About 300 people inside the church heard the crash happen. Members rushed outside, including nurses who started to help the injured pilot.
Six cars in the parking lot were damaged.
The FAA and NTSB are now investigating what caused the crash.
STORIES OTHERS ARE CLICKING ON
- One Year Later: Hundreds gather to remember victims of Pulse shooting in Orlando
- Jacksonville father murdered in front of kids while buying puppy from Facebook ad
- VIDEO: Former President Carter shakes hands with every passenger on flight
- Missing child alert issued for 9-year-old Brevard Co. boy after deadly house fire
- Cops: St. Pete woman overdoses in gas station bathroom in front of 3-year-old child
- Companies end sponsorship over Trump killing scene in play
- Car swallowed by Ocala sinkhole