HILLSBOROUGH COUNTY, Fla. (WFLA) – A Riverview woman had no idea her house was on fire until a neighbor told her. The neighbor then helped the woman and her four dogs escaped from her burning home on Monday afternoon.
The fire broke out at a residence in the 6800 block of Potts Road, according to a Hillsborough County Fire Rescue spokesperson.
Mark Evans, who lives nearby, saw the flames and ran to the home. He told the woman who lives there that her house was on fire. She had no idea her home was burning, according to Mark Evans’ wife, Kimberly. Mark Evans also helped get the woman’s four dogs out of the burning house.
When firefighters arrived at the scene, they saw flames and smoke coming through the roof.
It was too dangerous for firefighters to enter the residence, so they fought the fire from outside the home.
Once they were able to put out the flames, firefighters conducted a search of the home and determined no one was inside.
One person at the scene was medically evaluated, but refused to be hospitalized.
The home was destroyed, according to fire officials.
The cause of the fire is still under investigation.
STORIES OTHERS ARE CLICKING ON
- One Year Later: Hundreds gather to remember victims of Pulse shooting in Orlando
- Jacksonville father murdered in front of kids while buying puppy from Facebook ad
- VIDEO: Former President Carter shakes hands with every passenger on flight
- Missing child alert issued for 9-year-old Brevard Co. boy after deadly house fire
- Companies end sponsorship over Trump killing scene in play
- Car swallowed by Ocala sinkhole