POLK COUNTY, Fla. (WFLA) — Nearly 300 people were in the middle of worship at the Good Hope Missionary Baptist Church when they heard a loud bang — a plane had crashed into a utility pole and a vehicle in the church’s parking lot.
A pastor at the church, which is located on Griffin Road off Old Bartow Eagle Lake Road, says someone went outside and found a mangled single-engine Cirrus SR22, which had damaged six vehicles in total.
The unidentified pilot was seriously injured, according to officials. Two nurses inside the church rushed outside to his aid and stayed with the pilot until emergency crews arrived and transported him to Bartow Municipal Airport. He was later airlifted to Lakeland Regional Health. His condition is currently unknown.
An investigation into the incident is ongoing.
This is a developing story. Please check back for updates.
STORIES OTHERS ARE CLICKING ON
- DUI suspect crashes car into St. Pete house
- Tyson recalls more than 2 million pounds of breaded chicken products
- Two children dead after being left in car for more than 15 hours
- ‘Neo-nazi’ in National Guard faces federal charges after Tampa Palms murders
- Adam West, who played 1960s-era Batman, dies at 88
- ‘Funyun’ the seahorse recovering at Clearwater Marine Aquarium