PINELLAS COUNTY, Fla. (WFLA) – Detectives are investigating the death of an infant in unincorporated St. Petersburg. The baby died on Monday night.
According to detectives with the PCSO Crimes Against Children Unit, deputies were called to a home on 51st Avenue North for an unresponsive six-month-old infant.
Detectives said sometime after 10:45 a.m., Antonio Ford, 33, placed his child on a bed in a back bedroom to take a nap.
Ford was alone in the home with five other children at the time.
Detectives said Ford sent one of the children to check on the infant at 12:20 p.m. The child found Ford’s son on the side of the bed, with his head stuck in the opening between the mattress and headboard.
Ford performed CPR on the child until paramedics arrived.
The infant was taken to Johns Hopkins All Children’s Hospital, where he was later pronounced dead.
Detectives said the infant had a crib at the home, but was often allowed to sleep in his parents’ bed.
STORIES THAT OTHERS ARE CLICKING ON
- 5 killed in Orlando workplace shooting
- Tighter water restrictions now underway in several Tampa Bay area counties
- Cops: Uber driver steals gold necklace worth thousands off customer’s neck in Palm Harbor
- Girls sentenced in school bathroom attack that led to death
- Canadian man mows lawn with tornado behind him
- Carjacking suspect causes multiple hit-and-run crashes all over Tampa Bay
- New Mexico McDonald’s billboard joke goes viral