MARATHON, Fla. (AP) – A massive marina fire has closed U.S. 1, the only road to the Florida Keys.
The fire broke out early Monday at the Vaca Key Marina in Marathon, which is 113 miles south of Miami. The highway runs south to Key West, which is 48 miles away.
Monroe County Sheriff’s Office spokeswoman Becky Herrin said in a news release that the road, also known as the Overseas Highway, was closed in both directions about 3 a.m. Monday due to fire hoses being stretched across the road.
Herrin says the fire is at mile marker 47.5. No further details were immediately available.
STORIES THAT OTHERS ARE CLICKING ON
- How getting bumped from a flight can pay off big time
- Tighter water restrictions now underway in several Tampa Bay area counties
- Car found in water in St. Pete
- Cops: Uber driver steals gold necklace worth thousands off customer’s neck in Palm Harbor
- Carjacking suspect causes multiple hit-and-run crashes all over Tampa Bay
- New Mexico McDonald’s billboard joke goes viral