SEATTLE (AP) – Danny Valencia hit a three-run homer and tied a career high with five RBIs, Taylor Motter connected for a first-inning grand slam off Jake Odorizzi, and the Seattle Mariners routed the Tampa Bay Rays 12-4 on Friday night.
Seattle jumped on Odorizzi (3-3) for five runs in the first, although none were earned after Brad Miller’s error at second base helped create the big inning. Valencia started his night with a two-out, bases-loaded walk and Motter followed with his second slam of the season. He also hit one April 23 at Oakland.
While Motter’s sixth homer staked Seattle to a big early lead, Valencia’s fifth home run broke things open. Despite being out in front on a breaking ball, Valencia was able to keep his bat back long enough to line Odorizzi’s final pitch of the night into the bullpen in left field for a three-run shot and an 8-0 advantage.
STORIES THAT OTHERS ARE CLICKING ON
- Sheriff: Missing Haines City woman committed suicide
- Great-grandmother blamed for not saving baby killed in Tampa fire speaks out
- Florida woman accused of ‘pimping’ teen, living off earnings
- Man arrested, charged with first-degree murder in death of St. Pete cab driver
- Mail carrier arrested for feeding dog meatballs with nails
- 16-year-old girl accused of hacking Uber driver to death
- These hurricane supplies are tax-free this weekend in Florida