Man dies after swimming with new tattoo

Wikimedia Commons

(WFLA) – A 31-year-old man died after he ignored warnings about swimming after getting a new tattoo, according to CNN.

The unidentified man reportedly developed vibriosis, a flesh-eating bacteria, while swimming in the Gulf of Mexico days after getting a tattoo of a crucifix and praying hands on his right calf.

Tattoo artists typically advise those they ink to avoid swimming in the water to let the wound properly heal.

According to reports, the man was given antibiotics, but his condition further deteriorated.  His organs began to fail and he was placed on life support.

He died weeks later after succumbing to septic shock.

The CDC claims vibriosis causes an estimated 80,000 illnesses and 100 deaths in the United States each year. Most infections occur between May and October when water temperatures are warm.

STORIES THAT OTHERS ARE CLICKING ON

>> BACK TO TOP STORIES

 

WFLA.com provides commenting to allow for constructive discussion on the stories we cover. In order to comment here, you acknowledge you have read and agreed to our Terms of Service. Commenters who violate these terms, including use of vulgar language or racial slurs, will be banned. Please be respectful of the opinions of others and keep the conversation on topic and civil. If you see an inappropriate comment, please flag it for our moderators to review.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s