CHICAGO (WFLA) — NASA made a big announcement on Wednesday about the first mission to fly into the sun’s atmosphere.
The launch window for the Solar Probe Plus mission is scheduled to open July 31, 2018. The spacecraft will orbit within four million miles of the sun’s surface. NASA says it will be subjected to heat and radiation unlike any other spacecraft in history.
The goal of the mission is to explore the sun’s outer atmosphere and make observations that will help answer questions about how stars work. The agency says the findings will help improve forecasts of space weather events that affect satellites, astronauts and life on Earth.
STORIES THAT OTHERS ARE CLICKING ON
- First case of ‘dog flu’ in Florida, can make your pet sick or can kill
- Map shows the most misspelled word in each state
- Husband of Mary Kay Letourneau, teacher arrested for rape, files for separation
- Autopsy: Trans-Siberian Orchestra founder Paul O’Neill died from accidental overdose
- 4 Tampa Bay area attorneys disbarred or had licenses revoked by Florida Supreme Court
- Police report: Golfer Tiger Woods found asleep at the wheel