PINELLAS COUNTY, Fla. (WFLA) — Florida Highway Patrol officers say they’ve located parts from a car involved in a fatal hit-and-run that happened early Wednesday morning.
Troopers say the suspect’s car was headed west on Ulmerton Road around 5:30 a.m. and hit a 62-year-old bicyclist, Robert Allen Shepherd of St. Petersburg, who was riding in the bike lane near 58th Street North. The driver then left the scene.
Shepherd was then hit by an SUV headed west on Ulmerton, according to FHP.
Shepherd was pronounced dead at the scene. Troopers say the 62-year-old had lights on his bike and was wearing a reflective vest at the time of the crash.
FHP officers found parts from the suspect’s car at the scene, including a side mirror they believe belongs to a 2003 to 2008 model Pontiac Vibe, Toyota Matrix or Toyota Corolla.
Anyone with information is asked to call FHP at *347 or (813) 631-4020.
STORIES THAT OTHERS ARE CLICKING ON
- First case of ‘dog flu’ in Florida, can make your pet sick or can kill
- Map shows the most misspelled word in each state
- Husband of Mary Kay Letourneau, teacher arrested for rape, files for separation
- Autopsy: Trans-Siberian Orchestra founder Paul O’Neill died from accidental overdose
- 4 Tampa Bay area attorneys disbarred or had licenses revoked by Florida Supreme Court
- Police report: Golfer Tiger Woods found asleep at the wheel