CLEARWATER, Fla. (WFLA) – Police have identified the man who was seriously injured when a hit-and-run driver struck his bicycle Tuesday night.
Clearwater Police and Fire and Rescue was called to the intersection of Cleveland Street and Fredrica Avenue at 9:43 p.m.
The bicyclist, 34-year-old Joseph Samson, was struck by a pickup. The driver sped off.
Clearwater Public Safety said the truck was traveling eastbound on Cleveland. The bicyclist was traveling southbound between Betty Lane and Fredrica Avenue.
“He was just crossing right in the crosswalk here and got hit,” said friend John White.
The owner of a nearby Citgo gas station told News Channel 8 that Samson did side-work at the store. It’s not known if he was leaving work Tuesday night or if he simply stopped by.
Officers scoured the area to search for the truck. Police said it’s dark in color and might have an extended cab. It could possibly have front end damage.
Samson was taken to Bayfront Health St. Petersburg with life-threatening injuries. He is currently in critical condition.
If you have any information on this incident, please call police at 727-562-4242.
STORIES THAT OTHERS ARE CLICKING ON
- First case of ‘dog flu’ in Florida, can make your pet sick or can kill
- Map shows the most misspelled word in each state
- Husband of Mary Kay Letourneau, teacher arrested for rape, files for separation
- Autopsy: Trans-Siberian Orchestra founder Paul O’Neill died from accidental overdose
- 4 Tampa Bay area attorneys disbarred or had licenses revoked by Florida Supreme Court
- Police report: Golfer Tiger Woods found asleep at the wheel