PINELLAS COUNTY, Fla. (WFLA) — A man found unconscious in the Gulf of Mexico this weekend has died from his injuries.
Around 4:30 on Sunday, deputies with the Pinellas County Sheriff’s Office were called to the Gulf of Mexico on the north end of Three Rooker Island.
Deputies say 49-year-old Michael Steller jumped off a pontoon boat and was found unresponsive in the Gulf. The boat was anchored in about four feet of water.
Good Samaritans pulled Steller out and started trying to resuscitate him.
Deputies then arrived on scene and used an AED and performed CPR, along with a doctor and nurse who were on the island.
Steller was taken to Florida Hospital North Pinellas with life-threatening injuries. He was later pronounced dead.
The sheriff’s office says alcohol was a factor. The investigation is ongoing.
STORIES THAT OTHERS ARE CLICKING ON
- Ambulance hit by car rolls over in Clearwater
- Parasitic infection spread by pools on the rise
- ‘I ain’t fit to live’: Police say Mississippi gunman kills 8
- Police: Polk man used receipt to solicit teen to perform sex act
- Cops: Florida woman paid boy, 15, hundreds of dollars for sex
- Shark leaps into boat and lands on Australian fisherman
- Apps infected with malware may have impacted up to 36 million Android devices