MIAMI (AP) — Police say a man fired an AK-47 while driving down a Florida highway, damaging at least two passing vehicles.
Miami-Dade Police Detective Daniel Ferrin said the 36-year-old suspect began shooting from inside his Toyota Corolla around 1 a.m. Monday as he was driving south on the Palmetto Expressway.
Two vehicles were struck by bullets. Ferrin said one victim drove himself to a hospital with a minor head injury due to debris from the shooting.
Ferrin said the suspect hit a median, drove into oncoming traffic and crashed into a wall before exchanging gunfire with law enforcement officers who were approaching him. The man eventually surrendered.
Officers from Miami-Dade Police, Doral Police and Florida Highway Patrol were involved in that shooting.
It wasn’t immediately clear why the suspect started firing. Ferrin said charges were pending.
STORIES THAT OTHERS ARE CLICKING ON
- Ambulance hit by car rolls over in Clearwater
- Parasitic infection spread by pools on the rise
- ‘I ain’t fit to live’: Police say Mississippi gunman kills 8
- Police: Polk man used receipt to solicit teen to perform sex act
- Cops: Florida woman paid boy, 15, hundreds of dollars for sex
- Shark leaps into boat and lands on Australian fisherman
- Apps infected with malware may have impacted up to 36 million Android devices