WINTER HAVEN, Fla. (WFLA) — Police in Winter Haven are asking residents to be on the lookout for skimmers at gas stations.
Skimmers have been found at various stations around the city over the past few weeks.
On Monday, a gas station clerk found a skimmer at the Citgo on East Central Avenue. The employee found the skimmer while doing a routine inspection. Police do not know how long the device was inside the pump.
Three weeks ago, a skimmer was found at the Circle K on First Street South.
If you’re paying at the pump, you should try to use pumps closest to the store. Pumps farther away aren’t easily seen by employees, making it easier for skimmers to be installed.
You should also check the pump for unusual markings and make sure the security tape hasn’t been tampered with. If the card reader seems loose on the pump, don’t use it and tell an employee.
Police say you can always go inside and pay for your gas.
They recommend everyone keep a close eye on their bank accounts, and report any unusual activity immediately.
STORIES THAT OTHERS ARE CLICKING ON –
- Diverging Diamond opens in Sarasota
- Fire destroys 4 cars in Pasco County, lightning to blame
- Graduates walk out on Pence at Notre Dame commencement
- Police identify Tampa double homicide victims
- Dad and step-mom arrested after 5-year-old shows up drunk at hospital
- Body lay undiscovered at bottom of algae-covered pool in Pinellas Park for several hours
- High society: Pippa Middleton marries at almost-royal event