ORLANDO, Fla. (AP) – A dolphin at SeaWorld’s Aquatica park in Orlando delivered a calf that died a few minutes after birth.
The company said in a statement Sunday that the Commerson’s dolphin named Ringer delivered the calf Saturday night, and the calf died a few minutes later.
SeaWorld says the 16-year-old Ringer previously had four unsuccessful pregnancies and had been on contraception when she became pregnant.
The pregnancy was unexpected, and Ringer had been under 24-hour observation by her caretakers for the past month.
Park officials say Ringer appears to be doing well, despite the loss.
A necropsy will be performed on the calf to determine the cause of death.
STORIES THAT OTHERS ARE CLICKING ON –
- Diverging Diamond opens in Sarasota
- Florida woman trapped inside CVS trying to buy birthday card
- Fire destroys 4 cars in Pasco County, lightning to blame
- Graduates walk out on Pence at Notre Dame commencement
- Dad and step-mom arrested after 5-year-old shows up drunk at hospital
- High society: Pippa Middleton marries at almost-royal event
- Huge cuts to food stamps part of Trump’s budget proposal