SARASOTA, Fla. (WFLA) — The new I-75 and University Parkway Diverging Diamond interchange in Sarasota is officially open.
The interchange is the first of its kind in Florida, and is aimed at reducing crashes and helping ease congestion in the area.
The $74.5 million project started in 2015. It features five eastbound lanes and five westbound lanes. Each take turns crossing the intersection.
- PREVIOUS STORY — You Paid For It: DOT insists $5 million extra for I-75 Sarasota interchange is not a bonus
University Parkway was closed Sunday under I-75 to complete last-minute work as crews anticipated the opening.
STORIES THAT OTHERS ARE CLICKING ON –
- Polk Co. neighborhood on alert after bear spotted
- Fire destroys 4 cars in Pasco County, lightning to blame
- Graduates walk out on Pence at Notre Dame commencement
- Police identify Tampa double homicide victims
- Dad and step-mom arrested after 5-year-old shows up drunk at hospital
- Body lay undiscovered at bottom of algae-covered pool in Pinellas Park for several hours
- High society: Pippa Middleton marries at almost-royal event