TAMPA, Fla. (WFLA) — Police are investigating a double homicide in New Tampa after a man confessed to killing two people inside the Hamptons Condominium.
The Tampa Police Department responded to reports of a suspicious person who was possibly armed at the Green Planet Smoke Shop on 15350 Amberly Drive.
When officers arrived, they found Devon Arthurs, 18, who police say was holding two customers and an employee hostage.
The officers eventually convinced Arthurs to release the hostages and he was taken into custody without incident.
While in custody, detectives say Arthurs admitted to shooting and killing two people at an apartment complex across the street from the smoke shop.
Police searched a residence at the Hamptons Condominium and found two unidentified victims inside the apartment. Both victims had sustained gunshot wounds, according to police.
It’s unclear what led to their killings, but police say this appears to be an isolated incident and that Arthurs and the victims were known to each other and were living together.
Adjacent apartments were evacuated as a precaution, but residents were allowed to return back home. Tampa Fire Rescue’s Hazmat unit was also called in as a precaution.
An investigation into the incident is ongoing. No further details have been released at this time.
STORIES THAT OTHERS ARE CLICKING ON –
- Lakeland boy, 2, killed by dresser that fell on him
- Owner of SUV in Pasco hit-and-run crash arrested for filing false police report
- Local Parenting Experts: How to survive the summer with your kids
- Navy man who crashed into Times Square was based in Jacksonville
- WATCH: Driver caught on camera hitting child, driving away in Holiday
- Visitors meet April the giraffe and baby in person
- Police officer suffers fentanyl overdose from drug call