PASCO COUNTY, Fla. (WFLA) – The man who owns the Quail Hollow Country Club in Pasco County has fired the management company and canceled all future events after a stabbing and shooting over the weekend, investigators said.
A celebration at the clubhouse descended into chaos on Sunday when a man opened fire on a large crowd believed to have been as large as 800 people. Deputies said a person was shot, another was stabbed, and two pregnant females were trampled.
Authorities have identified Jonathan Mortume, 25, as a person of interest. They’re also looking for six others and hope to find more people once they locate Mortume.
The party, hosted by Haitian Club, was supposed to celebrate Haitian Flag Day. Its organizers say it’s an annual event.
“We put this together to show people what Haiti really means. It means union with force,” said one of the organizers.
The organizer said they told Quail Hollow there was going to be a large crowd, and video shows some of the 500 people who showed up ready to party. They also claim they paid for security, but that there wasn’t enough.
Investigators said the sheriff is frustrated because no one contacted the sheriff’s office to assist with security and crowd control.
The sheriff’s office warned earlier this week that future events at the clubhouse would be met with a large deputy and K9 presence.
“With the apparent lack of security, which should have been provided by the promoter, at events like last night, we take our responsibility to keep our community safe very seriously. We will take every precaution to keep Pasco safe. We understand future events like this are planned and we will be prepared.”
Inspectors issued four citations for the property owner, Salvatore Carollo and one for Kenneth Sohl, who owns the management company.
- Investigators said the men violated several ordinances:
- No permit for event $518 (2)
- Prohibited banner sign $118
- Improper addresses $1018
- Permitted use for storage crate on property $518
Residents at Quail Hollow are now relieved that events will no longer be held at the country club but they aren’t fully convinced.
Carollo did not return phone calls made by 8 On Your Side this week and no one came to the door at the home address listed on the citation Thursday afternoon.
STORIES THAT OTHERS ARE CLICKING ON –
- FHP names persons of interest in Pasco hit-and-run caught on video
- Police: Drunk driving suspect had lizard in bra
- Thieves now using Bluetooth devices at gas pumps to steal your data
- Deputies: Sarasota man barged into classroom to discuss ‘evil’ corruption
- WATCH: Driver caught on camera hitting child, driving away in Holiday
- Visitors meet April the giraffe and baby in person
- Police officer suffers fentanyl overdose from drug call