POLK COUNTY, Fla. (WFLA) — The PCSO Traffic Unit is on the scene of a crash involving a car and a semi-truck.
The crash happened around 5:30 Thursday morning on Highway 60 westbound, in front of DOT, between West Main Street and Bonnie Mine Road in Bartow.
A blue 2002 Ford Expedition was heading westbound on Highway 60 West near the 2500 block in Bartow, while a 2000 Mack truck pulling a trailer was heading eastbound, and turning left into the Cedar Trail Landfill.
The rear portion of the trailer was still in the westbound lane as the SUV approached. The SUV struck it, critically injuring the driver and passenger, 49-year-old Dennett Blue, Jr., of Bartow.
Blue was trauma alerted to Bartow Regional Medical Center, where he later died from his injuries.
The Tampa semi-truck driver, 68-year-old Ariel Soto, was not injured.
One lane, each on Highway 60 eastbound and westbound, is open to traffic.
Officials said the roadway should be clear by noon on Thursday.
This investigation is ongoing. Stay with WFLA News Channel 8 for updates.
STORIES THAT OTHERS ARE CLICKING ON –
- Driver of Pasco hit-and-run crash now in custody
- Wildfires causing smokey conditions all over Bay area
- VIDEO: Body cam footage captures intense stand-off between Pasco deputies, knife-wielding man
- Speed Busters: Auburndale dad worried about speeders near daughter’s school
- WATCH: Driver caught on camera hitting child, driving away in Holiday
- Visitors meet April the giraffe and baby in person
- Police officer suffers fentanyl overdose from drug call