ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. (AP) – Major league ERA leader Jason Vargas went seven more scoreless innings, Salvador Perez had a two-run double during a five-run eighth inning and the Kansas City Royals beat the Tampa Bay Rays 6-0 on Thursday.
Vargas (5-1) scattered three hits and dropped his ERA from 1.19 to 1.01.
Jorge Bonifacio hit an RBI single off Diego Moreno in the decisive eighth before Whit Merrifield had a run-scoring single and then circled the bases when center fielder Kevin Kiermaier misplayed the hit for a three-base error.
Merrifield also homered for the Royals, who won three of four against the Rays. Kansas City had lost 13 of 16 entering the series.
Jake Odorizzi (2-2) gave up one run and four hits in six innings for the Rays. He had allowed three hits or fewer in each of his previous four starts.
STORIES THAT OTHERS ARE CLICKING ON –
- How Florida fares for working moms
- FHP: Pasco mother crashed SUV driving drunk, good Samaritan tried to stop her
- Pasco sheriff in contact with person of interest in attempted abduction of 9-year-old girl
- Cases of norovirus confirmed at Lowry Elementary
- Florida woman dropped, dragged into pool by teens having loud pool party
- You Paid For It: $73 million for Hillsborough foster care not enough to cure violence