ZEPHYRHILLS, Fla. (WFLA) — Shirley Babich is thrilled with her new front porch and shed. She’s been waiting on it to be finished since February, after a contractor ran off with her $5,200 and did no work.
She called 8 On Your Side, and we tracked down contractor Randy Daniels, with Ace Aluminum in Zephyrhills.
We found Daniels in jail for fraud, but we also found his business partner, Richard Shaffer. He stepped up to do Babich’s job – even though he didn’t get paid a dime.
“It’s ultimately my responsibility,” he said.
Shaffer followed through on his promise and Babich could not be happier.
“He’s a stand-up guy,” she said of Shaffer. “We shared tears, and I know he was a victim here, too.”
Shaffer said Daniels collected money from other customers and failed to do their jobs as well. The fraud charges came after check forgery that involved the business.
Shaffer said he’s known Daniels most of his life and brought him in as a business partner three years ago. Recently, something went wrong, he said.
Daniels’ actions, Shaffer said, is destroying his business, and he vows to make things right. His business has an A rating with the Better Business Bureau.
STORIES THAT OTHERS ARE CLICKING ON-
- WATCH: Man removed from flight for using bathroom before takeoff
- 5 workers hospitalized after sulfur fire at Port Manatee
- Tampa makes Orkin’s ‘Top Bed Bug Cities’ list
- 50 abused gators rescued from central Florida farm
- Sarasota Co. dance instructor facing new charges for relationship with student
- Florida boy playing with gun shoots, kills sister, 13, on his birthday
- Police: Captive woman found in pit in man’s backyard shed