BAKER, Fla. (AP) — Authorities say the death of a 7-year-old on a swing in her yard in Florida’s Panhandle appears to be accidental.
According to an Okaloosa County Sheriff’s Office statement, deputies responded Saturday evening to a 911 call about a child who wasn’t breathing at the home in Baker.
The sheriff’s office says the girl’s father had just arrived home when he saw his daughter hanging from a swing by her neck. Deputies said he took her down from the swing and attempted to resuscitate her until emergency responders arrived.
The girl’s mother told deputies she believed the child had been outside only for a short time.
The child was pronounced dead at a hospital. An autopsy is scheduled.
Sheriff’s office spokeswoman Michele Nicholson said no additional details were immediately available Sunday.
STORIES THAT OTHERS ARE CLICKING ON –
- Police: Army vet charged in fatal shooting of service dog found dead
- Police identify man killed in officer-involved shooting in Tarpon Springs
- 11-year-old girl revived with Narcan after overdose
- Police: Pastor arrested after drugs found at church
- Sonic boom heard across Florida as Air Force lands space plane
- VIDEO: USF student rises from wheelchair, walks across stage at graduation