LARGO, Fla. (WFLA) — Police say a man accused of holding his girlfriend and her 5-year-old son hostage was arrested after a standoff in Largo.
The Largo Police department responded to a residence on 1733 S Jefferson Ave., after the girlfriend called 911 to report a person with a weapon.
She told police her boyfriend, John Desormeaux was holding her and her son hostage and was threatening to kill her and himself.
Police say the victim and her son were able to escape to a nearby residence.
They arrived to the scene and evacuated nearby residences to establish an inner and outer perimeter of the home and demanded Desormeaux surrender over a megaphone.
Authorities then tried to contact the suspect over the phone and on social media, but had no luck, until the Tactical Apprehension and Control (TAC) unit arrived to take control of the situation.
They tried to use a throw telephone to establish contact, but were unsuccessful.
After breaching several windows to the residence, they found Desormeaux inside a bedroom where he was taken into custody without incident.
Police also found a loaded firearm inside the bedroom.
Desormeaux was arrested and charged with one count of aggravated assault with a deadly weapon, one count of felony domestic kidnapping, one count of felony domestic battery and one count of violation of a domestic violence injunction.
He was transported to the Pinellas County Jail where he’s being held on a $540,000 bond.
STORIES THAT OTHERS ARE CLICKING ON –
- 9-2 favorite Always Dreaming wins Kentucky Derby in the slop
- Cops: Mother-of-three mauled to death at home by South African Mastiff
- Firefighters battle 200-acre brush fire near I-75 in Hillsborough
- Woman arrested for shooting at teen for attempting to rape dog
- Several Aunt Jemima products recalled over listeria concerns
- Is your house spying on you?
- Riverfest 2017 Schedule of Events