CLEARWATER, Fla. (WFLA) — A huge tree gave a woman and her grandson a big scare when it fell on their car in Clearwater on Friday morning.
Milagros Medina said the tree came down in slow motion.
Medina was driving her grandson, Travis Minshew, to school.
“Crossed over Martin Luther King and Lakeview and out of nowhere, the tree fell on my car,” said Medina.
A Clearwater Police Department spokesperson said it happened around 8 a.m.
The tree bashed the roof in and smashed the windows.
“I just told my grandson, ‘let’s try to get these doors open, let’s try to get out of here,’” she said.
Minshew, 8, said it was scary.
“When me and my grandma were in the car and I heard somebody say smoke, I just started panicking. I thought that was a life-ending moment,” he said. “The tree was crushing it, couldn’t even open the door.”
Minshew told his grandmother to try the windows. With the help of Good Samaritans, they were able to crawl out safely.
“I just thank the Lord that I’m still here, me and my,” said Medina.
David Snell had just passed the tree, taking his two children to school.
“It was maybe 15 minutes after I dropped them off, I was coming back through this way, so yeah, it could have been us one way or another,” said Snell.
Medina’s Suzuki Foreza is totaled. It was the only car they had.
“Basically, that was my only form of transportation for me and my daughter to get around,” she said.
She’s happy they walked away with only cuts and bruises.
“I was very grateful that I got out and I was still breathing, very, very grateful,” said Medina.
STORIES THAT OTHERS ARE CLICKING ON –
- St. Pete trainer’s license revoked after cocaine found in 5 greyhounds
- Student describes being bitten by snake at Orlando area school
- Anti-Muslim movie played in Tarpon Springs High School class
- Parents’ concerns growing over reported violence, lack of discipline at Seminole Middle School
- VIDEO: Amputee, 7, returns to school with prosthetic blade, gets heartwarming reaction
- 8 dogs saved from possible dog fighting operation in Hernando County