VENICE, Fla. (WFLA) – Three dogs were rescued from a burning home in Venice, thanks to local firefighters and a neighbor nearby, Sarasota County officials said on Sunday.
Around 11:45 am, multiple agencies responded to a two-alarm fire at an apartment on the 2700 block of Sunset Beach Drive.
According to officials, the neighbor, Terry Kessler, spotted the dogs inside the home and rescued them with a pair of the homeowner’s barbell’s that he had thrown through the patio door.
A third dog was later rescued and revived by firefighters.
The unidentified homeowner was briefly detained while the scene was being investigated by the state fire marshal and a narcotics team. He has not been charged, according to officials, who have yet to determine the cause of the fire.
Stay on WFLA.com for more updates on this developing story.
STORIES THAT OTHERS ARE CLICKING ON-
- Austin Hatch, survivor of 2 deadly plane crashes, is engaged
- Officers: Florida woman agreed to swap sex for $25, fast food
- WATCH VIDEO: Plane loses wheel, makes emergency landing at Sarasota airport
- Million dollar lawsuit filed against Chip Gaines of ‘Fixer Upper’
- SpaceX cancels Falcon 9 launch