PALM BEACH COUNTY, Fla. (WFLA) – A semi truck hauling hay fire went up in flames on Florida’s turnpike Friday.
The fire caused southbound lanes near Beeline Highway to close for several hours as firefighters put out the flames and cleaned up debris.
When Palm Beach County fire rescue crews responded to the fire at 6:20 am, 40 percent of the truck was on fire–the semi was a total loss.
They were eventually able to bring the fire under control.
Troopers say the driver, John Rauscher, 77, of Ontario, Canada made it out of the truck safely.
He was reportedly transporting the hay to Loxahatchee when the truck blew out a tire and caught fire.
STORIES THAT OTHERS ARE CLICKING ON-
- VIDEO: Major crash, boat fire snarl traffic on I-75 in Hillsborough
- 1 of 5 children hit by suspected DUI driver in Polk dies from injuries
- Polk man bites firefighter’s arm, ripping skin off from elbow to wrist
- WATCH VIDEO: Plane loses wheel, makes emergency landing at Sarasota airport
- Million dollar lawsuit filed against Chip Gaines of ‘Fixer Upper’
- Sarasota deputies search for missing man with dementia
- 8 Investigates: Are ‘Storefronts for Sex’ thriving along Tampa’s Kennedy Blvd?