ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. (WFLA) – You know there’s a big problem when a professional speed buster calls WFLA speed buster Leslee Lacey for help.
Leslee got a call from Dale, who is a retired St Petersburg police officer who has a traffic radar certification.
Dale spent years writing speeding tickets in St Pete. He’s certified in spotting lead foots. So, when he told Leslee that speeders were running rampant along 9th Avenue North, she knew there would be a problem.
“I’ve been in this neighborhood almost 28 years. 9th Ave has always been a speed problem,” said Dale as he pulled out his speed gun.
“I haven’t even started talking to you and 51 mph,” she said.
“That’s a low average. That’s a very low average for 9th Avenue North,” said Dale.
Then, Leslee started speed busting.
“Another 50,” and those speeds continued.
“Goodness gracious that red car, SUV, 58 mph, 58 mph! The speed limit is 35 here on 9th!” said Leslee.
Dale has been tracking the speeding for years. He sent a request to the mayor’s action line. It’s been years since they conducted a traffic study and he asked that they revisit that.
Dale was with the St Pete police department for 25 years. He preferred that we only use his first name.
STORIES THAT OTHERS ARE CLICKING ON-
- 50 abused gators rescued from central Florida farm
- Prosecutor: Couple laughed as they fatally shot service dog
- Sarasota Co. dance instructor facing new charges for relationship with student
- Cops: Lakeland man violated burn ban, threatened to put bullet in Sheriff Judd’s head
- Woman arrested after leaving infant in hot car outside Hillsborough courthouse
- Dash cam captures fiery crash, rescue of Fla. man known as ‘Gold Teeth’
- You Paid For It: Scientology trying to kill $26 million Clearwater aquarium funding after land sale dispute
- Nordstrom sells ‘dirty’ jeans, with fake mud for $425