MIAMI (AP) — Immigration authorities are detaining a gay Russian man infected with HIV who was seeking U.S. asylum in California.
Denis Davydov has been held in an immigration detention facility in Miami for more than a month after a trip to the U.S. Virgin Islands. Customs officers clearing passengers out of St. Thomas took the 30-year-old man into custody on suspicion he overstayed his visa, despite his pending asylum case.
Customs and Border Protection spokesman Jaime Ruiz said he could not comment on specific cases.
The group says Davydov has received medication but needs access to a specialist.
STORIES THAT OTHERS ARE CLICKING ON-
- Sarasota Co. dance instructor facing new charges for relationship with student
- Chipotle investigating data breach
- SR 54 reopened as Pasco County firefighters contain suspicious brush fires
- Dash cam captures fiery crash, rescue of Fla. man known as ‘Gold Teeth’
- You Paid For It: Scientology trying to kill $26 million Clearwater aquarium funding after land sale dispute
- Nordstrom sells ‘dirty’ jeans, with fake mud for $425