ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. (WFLA) – A crash on Gandy Boulevard in St. Petersburg left one person dead on Saturday night.
Police have identified the victim as 26-year-old Maurice La’Trail Wheeler.
Investigators say he was driving west on Gandy near the I-275 overpass at a high speed around 10:40 p.m. when he ran into slower traffic. Wheeler swerved to the right and lost control of his car, then went off the road and hit a guardrail.
According to police, Wheeler was not wearing his seatbelt and was ejected from his car.
He was taken to Bayfront Health St. Petersburg where he was later pronounced dead.
STORIES THAT OTHERS ARE CLICKING ON
- Man dies after riding Disney’s Thunder Mountain
- Man arrested after chatting with Largo detective posing as young girl
- VIDEO: Kenny G gives spontaneous performance for charity on Tampa flight
- Pete man arrested for pruning bushes
- Mandatory evacuation order lifted as officials monitor 700-acre fire at Indian Lake Estates
- American flight attendant to angry passenger: ‘Hit me’
- Englewood family welcomes naturally conceived quadruplets