TALLAHASSEE, Fla. (AP) – Florida Gov. Rick Scott is delaying his planned trade mission to Argentina due to wildfires that are burning in several parts of the state.
Scott was scheduled to leave late Saturday for a five-day trip to Buenos Aires. A final decision has not yet been made on whether to cancel the trip completely.
The governor has been monitoring the wildfires and visited one site in southwest Florida.
The Argentina trip is supposed to be Scott’s 13th trip abroad since he became governor in January 2011.
Scott has defended the trips as a way to open doors for Florida-based companies seeking business abroad.
He has taken previous economic development trips to the South American countries of Brazil, Colombia and Chile, as well as Japan, Israel, England, France, Spain, Canada and Panama.
STORIES THAT OTHERS ARE CLICKING ON
- Residents return to homes at Indian Lake Estates after evacuation order lifted
- PHOTO: Flight attendant calms crying baby
- ‘Happy Days’ star Erin Moran dies at 56
- Frito-Lay recalls various chips for possible salmonella contamination
- Florida mom and boyfriend arrested after toddler is beaten
- VIDEO: Kenny G gives spontaneous performance for charity on Tampa flight
- Police investigate homicide after woman’s body found in Tampa apartment