GAINESVILLE, Fla. (AP) – Former Florida Gators star and NFL prospect Caleb Brantley is facing misdemeanor charges that he allegedly punched a woman in the face, knocking her out and dislodging a tooth.
According to Alachua County, Florida, court records, the 22-year-old defensive linesman was charged Friday with battery.
A Gainesville police affidavit says Brantley and Chelsea Austin were arguing shortly after 2 a.m. April 13 when she pushed him. The affidavit says the 6-foot-3, 300-pound Brantley responded by hitting the 5-foot-6, 120-pound woman in the face. Investigators say the punch far exceeded what was needed for self-defense. They say two witnesses saw the fight.
Brantley did not immediately return a phone message seeking comment. Brantley has been expected to be a top-round pick in this week’s NFL draft.
STORIES THAT OTHERS ARE CLICKING ON
- ‘Happy Days’ star Erin Moran dies at 56
- Florida mom and boyfriend arrested after toddler is beaten
- VIDEO: Child falls out of moving bus, is rescued by volunteer firefighter
- Man charged with murder after girlfriend found dead in Tampa apartment
- VIDEO: Kenny G gives spontaneous performance for charity on Tampa flight
- Zoo teases permanent camera for April the giraffe and baby